Pages

Thursday, November 25, 2010

Diabetes is a Major Threat to Canadians

One in nine Canadians has diabetes. Many more may have it and don't even know it. You can have it in two '"flavours": Type One and Type Two. Type One usually knocks on your door much earlier in life while Type Two usually comes calling later. I say usually because there is no fixed and fast rule. If you suspect you may have the disease ask your doctor to send you to a blood lab for a test.
Having recently been diagnosed with Type Two, I have some advice for you. First, as I mentioned earlier, talk with your doctor. If he/she confirms that you have it, he will make an appointment for you at St. Joseph's Diabetes Education Centre here in London. I can't praise the services provided by this organization enough. You will be booked for three appointments. A nurse will describe the disease and explain how to keep it in check. You will learn about diet. I was surprised to learn that carbohydrates are among the worst foods that diabetics can eat. Carbs quickly turn into sugar. A dietitian will provide a custom diet. You will learn how much to eat of all foods. Another surprise for me: you must have a morning, afternoon and bedtime snack. Your blood sugar must be maintained at safe levels at all times. The bedtime snack is the most important because if during the night your blood sugar drops to a low level, the sugar stored in your liver supplies what is needed--and that is not a good thing.
Here are some observations about diabetes: It can affect your eyes. In fact, an ophthalmologist or an optometrist can detect warning signs during an eye exam. Left unattended, high sugar can also damage your arteries. Your limbs, especially at finger and toe tips can be very slow to heal if they have been damaged by a cut or bruise. In extreme cases, amputations are required.
Diabetics must take special care of their feet because they may lose normal sensations. One can step on a sharp tack, for example, in the home and not feel it. It's best to wear footwear at all times--even indoors.
The Canadian Diabetes Assn.
Since the discovery of insulin in 1922 in London, huge strides have been made in understanding diabetes. Annually, the Canadian Diabetes Association funds millions of dollars for research on prevention, treatment and management of the disease. Click on their website below and just see how many projects they are providing: Canadian Diabetes Assn.

3 comments:

  1. Most informative. Thanks. Peter Stamp

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! I don't remember if Brad told me or not that you have diabetes. That's brutal. One of my bosses has Type 2, and through his foundation has helped fund a diabetes center in Portland. The more I learn about the disease, the more need I see for educating anyone and everyone. Thanks for posting this, and good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been keeping it (Type 2) at bay with diet for several years, but my doc tells me it may have got the best of me. I'm getting another blood test in a few weeks to see if I have to start taking meds.
    Don

    ReplyDelete